Positive And Negative Effect Of Online Video Games On Student Academic Performance
Students love to play online games and most are very adept in getting through some of the most complex games, winning them step by step and becoming a champion.
There is no problem with simply playing videos games till when you are not addicted to this. Addiction of playing video games becomes disorder. But, who will tell you that you are addicted. Your parents or your friends? When we are addicted to anything, we could not able to feel ourselves. Your parents or good friend will tell you the same upon watching your behave.
From this post, I want to help all people, parents, friends who are anxious from playing video games online and want help. Who can help? Obviously GOD! Their parents are asking help from the GOD. I know one family in which a younger daughter have been addicted of PUBG game and her parents are crying to see this. They are praying to GOD that O! GOD! Please save my child. Whenever they tell to their child not to play video game and concentrate on study, the child started fighting with them. They are fedup with her and came to our Brahma Kumaris Centre and asking for help. I will tell you below that How Brahma Kumaris teacher helped them in this case.
Now a days, in this Kaliyuga, lot of peoples are getting addicted to online video games like PUBG or social media like Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. And day by day, mental diseases are increasing. I think, in each home, there is one mental patient, you will find. Each day, we read news related to video games addiction disorder in newspaper. The case of mental diseases, suicide, depression, divorce, violence, family violence and murder are increasing day by day from this video games disorder. That is why, WHO(World Health Organization) decided to put this video games addiction to official mental disorder in 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). Here is the official link:
What kind of an impact do these games have on students?
Let’s look at the positive as well as negative impact of online games on students.
Positive Effects of Video Games
- Online games teach students how to think logically as they have to analyze the given game problem and work out a solution. They have to think in a step wise way to win a particular game level which increases their ability to derive solutions for academic problems in the same way
- Students who regularly play online games learn to mange computer very adeptly as they get used to a sophisticated screen in which they are posed questions, asked to choose from a set of answers, learn browsing, login tasks, dexterously use the mouse pointer to complete tasks etc. Hence when they take to the real computer screen very confidently and easily find their way through it.
- Some computer games can actually teach students tasks such as gardening, CPR, math calculations, scientific experiments, puzzle solving, first aid and other such important activities which can be useful suddenly in a real time scenario. By finding their way through a complex game, their mind can develop to solve a similar mathematical or scientific problem in the same way
- Since information is presented to the student in a fun way, they find learning easy and are able to quickly absorb important matter than when the same is read from a textbook or even written in the classroom blackboard. It also brings out innate creativity which can lead to various types of improvements in their personality
- Research reveals that children with attention deficit disorder perform better, learner faster and feel confident by playing online games regularly. As they have to focus on the game sequence, memory and concentration increases which in turn helps them to better interact and learn from the society around them
Negative Health Effects Of Video Games
- Online games can negatively impact students by making them addicted to game playing. Such can become their mental and emotional dependence on online game play that even a single day cannot go without playing. Such is the hold of the games that students spend hours playing them rather than concentrating on studies or completing their homework. Check Out My all Mental Health Articles.
- Violent themed games can actually cause a lot of mental depression, move a person towards agony and also develop negative feelings and emotions, which can lead to behavioral problems in school as well as in the friends circle
- Playing online games for hours results in poor eyesight, back pain, neck problems and other related health issues. It can also cause a person to need the thrill of a playing a game to get over emotional problems. Instead of meeting with people, making friends and getting to know one another better, lots of time is spent alone in playing thrilling games, isolating the person from society.
Watch Video Games Addiction Video